Dr. Hsu was born and raised in Taiwan, in a family with a tradition of working with natural energy, and with a strong connection to traditional Chinese philosophy. Dr. Hsu was guided by his father and other masters, from childhood on, in all aspects of disciplines that involve the development and exploration of chi energy (life force). At the same time, he received a modern scientific education, studying forestry at National Taiwan University. After graduating, he went graduate school in the School of Natural Resources at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington USA where he earned a Ph.D. in the field of Fiber Science in 1975, after which he worked for Richhold Chemicals Co for a couple years as a research chemist.
While he was in graduate school, he started teaching Tai Chi Chuan, and was one of the pioneers at bringing Tai Chi Chuan to the Pacific Northwest, where he founded the Five Willow Tai Chi Association in 1974. He also returned to his family roots by returning to the study of Feng Shui, Buddhism and Taoism, and energy work. He took refuge from the renowned Zen master Pu Yu of Yuan Qian Temple in Fuzhou, China.
In the 1980s he began teaching Feng Shui at the University Washington Experimental College, and then at what was Bellevue Community College (now Bellevue College), and Edmunds Community College. He also lectured at the Whole System Design College of Antioch University in Seattle. As his work became better known, he was invited to give lectures in interior design and architecture in countries ranging from Asia to Europe and South America.
In 1990 Dr. Hsu founded the Blue Mountain Feng Shui Institute to promote a broad, deep and more accurate understanding of Feng Shui. The Institute offers classes in traditional Feng Shui, energy work, and Natural Principles. These classes are valuable for people interested in enriching their lives, as well as for those interested in becoming certified as professional Feng Shui consultants. Workshops offered by the Institute include over 20 unique areas of concern and provide comprehensive Feng Shui training.
Dr, Hsu currently lectures worldwide on matter of spatial and environmental design in accord with natural principles. His teaching unifies his training in western science, ancient Chinese philosophy, Taoist and Buddhist meditation, and the energy work of Chi-gong/Qigong and Tai Chi Chuan, along with decades of experience in Feng Shui.
His invitational lectures and activities include:
- 2007 invited by major Chinese universities (Qihwa University, Renmin University, Zhejiang University, Guang Ye Chinese Culture Forum) to give Feng Shui lecture, with a desire to bring the real Feng Shui teaching back to China.
- 2001 invited as the sole Chinese culture representative to participate in the “Dialogue Among Civilization” Conference sponsored by Unesco and Latin America Economical System, held in Caracas, Venezuela.. He presented on using Natural Principles as a common model for promoting human peace and civilization
- 1999 invited, with other 40 scientists and inventors from around the world, to participate in the first Water and Energy Symposium in Washington state, in the USA; his presentation on the concept of Form Energy was well received.
- 1990 Published World Qigong Magazine (in Chinese); in the same year he founded Blue Mountain Feng Shui Institute
- 1989 World Medical Qigong association established in China; elected as a board member and served on the standing committee.
For several decades, in addition to giving workshops around the world, he also provide feng shui and design consultation for corporations and private residences.
His client list includes;
- Boeing Corporation, Seattle Washington: participating in design of the headquarter of the Commercial Airline Group.
- Gazprom (the largest Russia energy company): office floor lay out in Moscow’s World Trade Center.
- Sea Land shipping company: office layout and adjustment.
- Teachers’ Hospital in San Juan Puerto Rico: remodel design
- Provincial Bank in Caracas, Venezuela: office Layout and adjustment
- Alaska Builder’s Association: Feng Shui evaluation of the State Capitol building in Juno, Alaska.
- The Seattle China Town Dragon Project design
- Zen Temple in Yunjiu Temple, Jiang Xi Province, China: Zen Training Center siting
Dr. Hsu has published the following books:
- The Fundamentals of Feng Shui (also published in Spanish and Russian)
- The Yin and Yang of Love : Feng Shui for Relationships (also published in Turkish, Spanish, Russian, German, Hungarian, and several other languages)
- The Medicine Box (received 2007 Independent Publisher’s Gold Medal Book Award) also published in Russian, with a Chinese edition forthcoming)).
- The Essence of Tea
- Feng Shui—Truth, Myths and Misconceptions (e-book only, co-author Jenny Nakao Hones)
- Form Defines Energy—The Essence of Feng Shui
- Yin-Yang Theory—The Fundamental of Natural Law (forthcoming, 2015)